In the 457th issue of ProcessWire Weekly we'll dive into the latest core updates, share latest ProcessWire highlights, and more. Read on!
Welcome to the latest issue of ProcessWire Weekly! In this week's issue we'll take a closer look at the latest core updates (available via the dev branch at GitHub), and share the latest ProcessWire online resources and other weekly highlights.
As always we'll also introduce a new site of the week — one that belongs to the award-winning home technology integrator Cyberhomes from Oxfordshire, UK.
Thanks to all of our readers for being here with us again, and as always, any feedback is most welcome – please don't hesitate to drop us a line if there's anything in your mind you'd like to share with us. Enjoy our latest issue and have a great weekend!
Latest core updates and a weekly update from Ryan
The latest weekly update from Ryan provides an in-depth introduction to a brand-new, security improving core feature. The gist of it is that starting from the latest dev branch version, fields created via Admin and using the Text fieldtype — or a fieldtype inheriting the Text fieldtype — will have the HTML Entity Encoder textformatter enabled by default.
Why should the HTML Entity Encoder be enabled by default?
It has always been recommended that this textformatter be enabled when a new text field not meant to contain HTML is added, but it was quite easy to forget. New default errs on the side of caution: now one must intentionally disable entity encoding if non-encoded markup is required.
Field editor in admin will additionally display a warning when editing a field that might have said textformatter accidentally disabled.
Other core updates this week
There's no version bump this week (according to Ryan this will happen some time next week) the weekly commit log for the dev branch contains a few other updates as well:
- New hookable method
Fieldtype::saveFieldReady(Field $field), which is called right before a Field object is saved. Newly created fields will have
- As an optimization, a new session cache for column options was added for the Process Page Lister core module.
- Fix for an issue where Page Autocomplete inputfield didn't work properly if the labelFieldFormat (custom label for pages) contained a hash character (
That's all for our core updates section this week. For more details, be sure to check out the weekly update from Ryan at the support forum. Thanks!
Weekly forum highlights, tutorials, and other online resources
For this week we've gathered a list of support forum highlights and other useful and hopefully interesting resources. As always, please let us know if there's anything important we've missed, so that we can include it in one of our future issues.
- First of all we're happy to highlight an interesting and very detailed article from Jonathan Lahijani about creating an event calendar with HTMX and integrating it with ProcessWire. Definitely worth checking out!
- Next up we've got a couple of handy scripts for those working with Repeater Matrix field, shared by Clarity. These scripts, which can be run e.g. in the Tracy Debugger console panel, show relationship between all types, names and labels, and show pages that contain a specific Repeater Matrix type.
- For cases where a site needs to be put in maintenance mode there are a number of great solutions — some of which are detailed in a forum post from this week. Maintenance Mode module, loginDisabledroles config option, and more!
- Though we haven't had a chance to test this module, it looks interesting and full-featured: ProcessWire OpenImmo Importer. In a nutshell this is an importer for real estate data. Worth checking out if such a needs should ever arise, or if you just want to see an example of creating a large scale importer for ProcessWire.
Finally, there's a new video out from Bernhard Baumrock, about adding RockMigrations to an existing site. Bernhards videos are topnotch in terms of both quality and content, so definitely go check it out if you'd like to hear more about handling migrations in code and specifically the RockMigrations module:
If you're interested in ProcessWire news, discussions, and updates, there's always something going on at the support forum. Since we're only able to include a tiny selection of all that in our weekly updates, head down to the forum for more.
Site of the week: Cyberhomes
Our latest site of the week belongs to a company known as Cyberhomes — a multi award-winning home technology integrator based in Oxfordshire, UK.
Cyberhomes specialize in whole house control, as well as high performance home cinema solutions. Their new website, which was developed by Presto Web Design and is powered by ProcessWire, provides an easy to use admin for team members to use, and a front-end tailored for their audience — high net worth homeowners and construction professionals.
For more details, check out the case story at the Presto Web Design Website. Thanks to the folks at Presto Web Design for sharing this site with us, and our congratulations to the client, Cyberhomes, for their new website!
Stay tuned for our next issue
That's all for the 457th issue of ProcessWire Weekly. We'll be back with more news, updates, and content Saturday, 18th of February. As always, ProcessWire newsletter subscribers will get our updates a few days later.
Thanks for staying with us, once again. Hope you've had a great and productive week, and don't forget to check out the ProcessWire forums for more interesting topics. Until next week, happy hacking with ProcessWire!